Childhood Memory

 Awake

Wake up, Angel, it is Christmas! I was so tired because I could not fall asleep the night before. Edwina, my younger sister, was as energetic as a puppy. To please my sister, I woke up (even though it was seven in the morning). When I woke up from my sleep, I was parched. I could smell the handmade pancakes, bacon, and eggs coming from the kitchen; the pancakes smelled like baked cake with hot maple syrup, and there was a natural meat smell coming from the bacon. My mom and dad were in the kitchen cooking breakfast so we could all eat before we started the day." Your brother has already had a piece of the savory bacon," mom explained. My brother was already sitting at the table waiting to eat- my parents, sister, and I joined him. The glass plates had been out, the light was beaming on the bright silver utensils, and the Christmas presents under the tree stared at us as we started to eat. Because of how breakfast tasted, I claimed the food was culinary. “Can we open some presents now, Edwina said?” We were all finished eating, so the answer was yes.

My parents insisted that we all open the stockings first; the stockings were all red with fur and had the first letter of our names on each- A, E, and H. I put my hand in the stocking. There was candy, fuzzy socks, a squishy set, and one rectangular gift with snowman paper. All of the other items remained unwrapped because they were stocking stuffers. I unwrapped this item, and it ended up being a pink iPod touch. I was excited because I was a fifth-grader who got their first real electronic; I could text, download games, take photos and make videos now. I had seen nothing like it before. It was pretty, and I could not wait to bring it to school after winter break. “Cool, I one too, said my brother!” Edwina got a stuffed animal reindeer, playdough sets, fuzzy socks, a container shaped liked a candy cane filled with Hersey Kisses, and a Madlibs. We were all happy with what we got in our stockings. Thank you, mom and dad, said my siblings and me. They both felt appreciated, and they exchanged the gifts they had got for each other; some of their items were prosaic, as they were adults who did not want toys.

“We have something to tell you guys.” At the time, I was still excited, so good or bad news would not matter. "We are going to spend the rest of Christmas at the house of your cousins," my mother explained. My parents were willful as they made open our stockings first instead of opening the gifts because they knew we would be spending Christmas at a different house. Both of my siblings were confused because we usually spent Christmas with just the five of us. “Why are we going,” said Edwina. She was enraged, and I recall her making annoying whiny noises about wanting to stay at home and unwrap the gifts beneath the tree.

After a couple of minutes of Edwina complaining, they told us why we would spend Christmas with more family. It was because they wanted us to bond together with our cousins during this great holiday. Although we were spending Christmas togather at another home, I was still excited because my parents allowed us to bring one gift with us. We put on our festive formal clothes after finishing our family discussion by the Christmas tree. My sister and I were dressed similarly, both in red and green with a red bow on the side. Everyone was ready, so we got on the road.

Click, Click, Click, and Click again. Our seatbelts fastened. Edwina asked, “How long are we were gonna be on the road”? I had a feeling the car ride would not last long (it was only 45 minutes), and I had my head down, playing Subway Surfers on my new device. My iPod was smooth and glossy at the same time. I was careful holding it because was no case on it. During the car ride, my father tried to make conversation while the mellifluous Christmas music was playing.

Angel, Angel, ANGEL! I did not know what was going on as I did not want the surfer to crash into one of the trains. "Gimme your iPod right now," Dad said. I questioned why he was acting so strangely. When I asked why he was taking it away from me, he said, "You were not responding during our conversation." I gave him the iPod with no hesitation. I was mad, while he was nefarious as he took the present that was for me. I did not think I had done anything wrong. It was Christmas, and I was enjoying my gift. My brother still got to have his iPod while on the ride, which made me even madder (furious). The ride was boring, and I was ready to get the day over. We arrived home, and I noticed that my father had placed my iPod in the glove compartment. Once my family and I got out of the car, snow began to fall from the sky, making it glacial outside.


As I walked into the house, I could smell frosted sugar cookies, gingerbread houses, candy canes, and lasagna baking in the beeping oven. My family and I removed our shoes near the door to avoid tracking snow throughout the house. Come, play a board game with us, Angel! "All of you go over and play with them; it will be fun," mom said, hoping to quell my anger. We played Sorry, and I was teamed up with Edwina because the board game is a four-player game. I did not care less whether we won or lost; all I cared about was my iPod touch. NOO! "No fair, you guys cheated," Edwina exclaimed. Edwina and I were the losers of the board game, so we decided to decorate a gingerbread house together. Our cousins ended up joining us. We created a team of two and three to compete against one another. Edwina, Hanif, and I won against them because we were the older group. After hours of spending time with our cousins, we sat down at the brown dinner table to eat lasagna with dinner rolls.

“Later!” We are all looking forward to seeing you guys next Christmas." It was time to go home. I walked on the cold tiled floor to put on my black flats and coat. Everyone was full but ready to go home to rest after the long day. Edwina, in particular, was lethargic from accusing the cousins of cheating while decorating gingerbread houses and playing Sorry. The car ride was quiet and seemed to go by quickly. I rattled Edwina awake as we arrived at our destination. Christmas had not ended yet; It was 8:00 PM. My parents asked us if we wanted to finish opening up our gifts- all agreed. "Angel, before you unwrap anything, how about you take your iPod?" I smiled and hugged mom and dad. The iPod was still pink, but it also had a spaced-themed case on it. I finally awoke from my angry trance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Superpower: The Power to Read People's Minds

Open Form Poem II: Does nobody understand?

Dialogue Blog: "You first."