Open Form Poem II: Does nobody understand?

 I Try


None of us knows what other people go through

All we can do is ponder about,

if that person’s life is as tough as opening a container of nails,

or if it’s as easy as counting to your 123s. 

I am a high school student

finishing up my sophomore year.

I remain inconspicuous while roaming the halls at school. 

Time flies when you are having fun, we say. 

I feel that statement should be obsolete; time is flying, and I am not having fun. 

My life may seem easy and great to the people around me.

I have ample people like this in my life- I don’t need anymore. 

All I have to do is go to school and go back home,

doing it all over again the next day.

People who say that I have it easy can only see my life from the outside. 

They aren’t putting themselves in my shoes, 

and that is the problem. 

I am the supporting friend, 

as I always have to bolster how they’re confidence and feelings. 

When I am around them, I turn on all my amiable qualities; it’s why I am there. 

Being tactful is key to going about their problems falling on me.

Because of how servile I am, I seem to be the perfect friend (easy to walk all over). 

My suggestions are continuously rebuffed

making me feel like my say doesn’t matter. 

I make furtive notes on the notes app on my phone,

as it’s the only one who hears me out. 

They don’t get it, no matter how much I try to explain.

Once I become detached from all of this, I will be free. 

The only thing I can do is take a pragmatic approach to everything right now. 

Does nobody understand? 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Superpower: The Power to Read People's Minds

Dialogue Blog: "You first."

Living My Best Life